Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Pet Picking You

You know that excitement that you feel when going to choose a pet? It can be a mouse, rat, bird, snake, dog, cat, whatever. Whenever you go to make that choice, it brings excitement. Of course, it is also a major decision. After all, you are pretty much randomly choosing someone to be a family member.

Some people choose just because of the features and behaviors that a certain breed has, others just take what happens to come along their way either through a stray showing up or a friend with puppies or kittens, and some like to find out how that specific dog's behaviors and such are. As you can see, there are a variety of ways to pick out your new family member, but sometimes, you have less power in that decision than others. Sometimes the pet picks out its owners. It will act a certain way around most people but when that one special person (or however many make up the family) it makes it known that it is meant to be in you life. Destined. Connected in a way that most don't even begin to understand. As an example, I will use one of many pets that have been in my life.

I remember it was a sunny day and we were on our way in the van to a house that advertised for free kittens. I was beyond excited. I was around 8 years old at the time. My sister either 11 or 12, and of course, she was very excited too. You see, it was our first long-lasting pet. We had fish, gerbils, mice, hamsters, and even sea monkeys, ha ha. Now, don't get me wrong, our family had a cat. She was a very sweet, older kitty that eventually needed to move on. (Otherwise known as crossing Rainbow Bridge.) So yes, my sister and I would each get a kitten to call our own. My mom laid down 2 rules. The kitten needed to be short hair. Also, the cat needed to be female. 

So, we arrived at the house and as I was getting out of the van, an adorable black and white kitty was making its way to me. It was strange because it went straight to me, somewhat quickly even. It was meowing on its way. I knew at that point that I would pick that kitten. We snuggled and I told my parents that I found mine. They looked at my sister who was playing with them, petting them, holding them, etc, and asked if I wanted to take a look at the other kittens. Nope, this is my cat. My parents also saw the connection between the kitten and I. There was just one thing, it had long hair! I was afraid that my Mom wouldn't let me have it because of that. She said that she didn't really want a long hair but as long as it wasn't a male she was fine with it.

After taking the kitties to the vet and discovering that yes, my kitty was indeed a he, my Mom vetoed her rule and let me keep him. We had an amazing bond. He would only let me hold him for a long time, he would only sleep with me, not anyone else in the house, and when he would be missing for hours (prowling) he would run back to the house when I called him. He was large (not fat, just a larger boned cat) and strong. I still think about him, and I still miss him. But he definitely chose me that day.

The reason this hit my mind today is because on my way home from the bus stop, I ran across a woman, her son, and their adorable dog. I told her that he was adorable (which he was) and she said that they just got him. I asked where she picked him up and she said the name of the place. Then she said, "Actually, he chose us." I immediately smiled and thought of my first cat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment